04 January 2024, Colorado: Wyman Meinzer—state photographer of Texas—is set to give those attending the joint 2024 Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) and Southern Weed Science Society (SWSS) meeting a fascinating glimpse of the Lone Star State.
Meinzer will keynote the WSSA/SWSS meeting slated for January 22-25, 2024, in San Antonio, Texas. After 40 years as a professional photographer, Wyman has photographed or collaborated on 27 large format photo books.
His images have appeared on more than 250 magazine covers. David Baxter, former editor of Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine, described Meinzer best when he called him “a man with
the eye of a nineteenth-century impressionist painter and soul of a buffalo hunter.”
Besides Meinzer, the joint meeting will also include four symposia, three graduate student events, tours that range from botanical gardens to tequila tasting, plus a host of posters and presentations on the latest weed science topics and technologies.
Besides more than 500 presentations and posters, the four symposia from January 23-25 will include:
- Pesticide Registration, Current Standards and Regulations for the Assessment of Environmental Impacts of Pesticide Use in the United States. This symposia is organized by Zahoor Ganie with FMC and the WSSA Environmental Aspects Committee.
- New Approaches to Herbicide and Bioherbicide Discovery. This symposia is organized by Stephen Duke with the National Center for Natural Products
Research (NCNPR) at the University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy, and Franck Dayan with Colorado State University. This is sponsored by the WSSA Physiology, Biocontrol of Weeds, and Weed Biology Committee.
- Adjuvants Matter: How New Technology and a Changing Marketplace are Creating New Opportunities for Inquiry and Advancement. This symposia is organized by Matt Faletti with Precison Laboratories and the WSSA Formulations, Adjuvants and Application Technology Committee.
- Herbicide Resistant Weeds: Identification, Documentation and Regulation. This symposia is organized by Craig Alford with Corteva Agriscience and the WSSA U.S. HRAC Herbicide Resistance Management Committee. Student activities will include:
- A graduate student luncheon at which a panel will discuss what they consider
when hiring weed science students for jobs.
- An activity that details how students can overcome hurdles in graduate school.
- A graduate student poster contest divided into two groups – one for Master’s students and one for Ph.D. students. Any student who is a WSSA/SWSS member and has registered to attend the current annual meeting is eligible to compete in a poster or oral presentation contest.
A Women in Weed Science Networking Event
also slated for the meeting, as is a Quiz Bowl/Mixer. Conference attendees will also have the opportunity to tour the Natural Bridge Caverns and the San Antonio Botanical Gardens during the meeting.
For more information or to register, visit us online.
Meetings Scheduled for Early Next Year The annual meetings below have been scheduled for the first quarter of 2024. Further
details will be publicized and posted online as they become available.
(For Latest Agriculture News & Updates, follow Krishak Jagat on Google News)