21 August 2023, UK: The World BioProtection Research Foundation has announced the founding members of its Visionary Steering Council (VSC), which provides strategic guidance, oversight and direction.
At the forefront of agricultural transformation lies Biological Agriculture (BioAg), encompassing biocontrol, biostimulants, and biofertilisers. This dynamic field promises sustainable solutions for pest management, disease control, and elevated plant vitality on a global scale. However, bridging the gap between pioneering research and practical farming solutions has proven frustratingly sluggish.
The catalyst for change arises from the diverse landscape of innovators, entrepreneurs, and corporations, each engrossed in their unique pursuits. The time has come to reimagine our approach. A fresh business model must unite these stakeholders, weaving their efforts together to drive the creation and adoption of innovative bioprotection solutions – pivotal for tackling our world’s urgent agricultural and ecological challenges, said Professor Shashi Sharma, Chairman of the World BioProtection Research Foundation.
This was the rationale for the creation of the Research Foundation, a dynamic not-for-profit institution that is dedicated to promoting research and innovation in BioAg. By harnessing the power of nature and leveraging global research expertise, the Foundation aims to revolutionise and work towards finding unique microbial strains which can be used for crop protection and plant health management. Our mission is to pioneer distinctive microbial strains for crop protection and plant health. The Research Foundation will spearhead research, foster collaboration, share knowledge, and create a hub for diverse stakeholders.
Since the Research Foundation was launched in May 2023, Professor Sharma has been recruiting high-calibre individuals to populate its governing councils. The Research Foundation is guided by two governing bodies: the Visionary Steering Council (VSC) and the Program Advisory Council of Experts (PACE). Further information about Governance of the Foundation can be found here.
Seven world class experts have joined the VSC, with the goal of providing leadership in setting the research agenda, evaluating progress, and making informed decisions to advance the foundation’s objectives:
- Dr Keith Davies PhD, Director, KG Davies Limited, Associate Professor and Visiting Research Professor, United Kingdom.
- Mr Marco Brini MBA, Digital Agriculture Expert and Independent C-Level Consultant
- Prof Patricia Stock PhD, Emerita Director and Professor, School of Animal and Comparative Biomedical Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- Dr Minshad Ansari PhD, Founder and CEO at Bionema; Founder and Chairman of The World BioProtection Forum (WBF), United Kingdom.
- Dr D. Joseph Bagyaraj PhD, Chairman, Centre for Natural Biological Resources & Community Development (CNBRCD), Anand Nagar, Bangalore, India.
- Dr Suhas Wani PhD, Former Research Program Director – Asia and Director, ICRISAT Development Centre (IDC) at International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), India.
- Prof Abu Noman Faruq Ahmmed PhD, Chairman at the Department of Plant Pathology, Faculty of Agriculture, Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Bangladesh.
The VSC will ultimately comprise 10 experts from across the world. Highly experienced individuals with foresight, long-term vision, and wisdom, who are interested in filling the final spaces on the esteemed VSC can express their interest here. This voluntary role provides an outstanding opportunity to play a pivotal role in shaping the strategic direction of the Research Foundation, leaving an indelible mark on the global stage.
The Foundation offers numerous other opportunities to actively contribute to ground-breaking research. It provides a platform to collaborate with esteemed experts and shape the future of our world. The Research Foundation stands as a driving force behind the advancement of novel scientific discoveries.
Dr Minshad Ansari, Founder and Chairman of the WBF said: “The Research Foundation thrives on the power of collective wisdom to finding world class microbes and make them available for research and commercialisation. By fostering partnerships with leading experts and institutions worldwide, we will create a vibrant ecosystem of knowledge exchange, accelerating the pace of discovery and implementation.”
As we march ahead, said Professor Sharma added, the Research Foundation envisions a future where BioAg takes the lead, nurturing sustainable abundance for generations ahead. The era of BioAg advancement has dawned – join us in shaping a resilient tomorrow.
(For Latest Agriculture News & Updates, follow Krishak Jagat on Google News)