Kharif sowing crosses 691 lakh ha as on 17th July 2020
17 July 2020, New Delhi: As per the latest Kharif sowing data released by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, the Kharif sowing has reached 691.86 lakh hectare. The sown acreage was 570.86 lakh hectare during corresponding period of last year.
Sowing area of Kharif crops is 21.2 % more compared to last year. The increase in the acreage this year is due to the early coverage of Monsoon across India. The monsoon this year covered India 12 days in advance compared to the normal date of 8th of July. The actual rainfall received in the country as of 16th July is 338.3 mm against normal of 308.4 mm.
Also Read: Punjab looking for investments from Japan for Agro Processing Sector
The Ministry also shared data related to water storage in various reservoirs across India. The live water storage available in 123 reservoirs in the country is 150 % of live storage of corresponding period of last year and 133% of storage of average of last ten years.
The sowing area coverage under Kharif crops is as follows:
- Rice on 168.47 lakh ha against 142.06 lakh ha area last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 18.59%,
- Pulses on 81.66 lakh ha against 61.70 lakh ha area last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 32.35%,
- Coverage of Coarse Cereals reported on 115.60 lakh ha area against 103.00 lakh ha area last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 12.23%,
- Oilseeds 154.95 lakh ha area against 110.09 lakh ha area last year i.e. area coverage increased by 40.75 %,
- Sugarcane on 51.29 lakh ha area against 50.82 lakh ha area last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 0.92%
- Under Cotton, area coverage reported on 113.01 lakh ha area against 96.35 lakh ha area last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 17.28 % and
- In case of Jute & Mesta, on 6.88 lakh ha area against 6.84 lakh ha area last year i.e. increase in area coverage by 0.70% reported in the country.
Photo credit: Diganta Talukdar on Visual hunt / CC BY