30 March 2022, New Delhi: The availability of fertilizers has remained comfortable across the country during the Rabi 2021-22 season. However, in between the season, some states highlighted shortfall of DAP fertilizer, particularly in few district. Accordingly, based on the requests of State Governments, DAP rakes were moved to meet the requirement.
Going towards self sustenance in potassic and phosphatic fertilizers, the government took several measures listed below:
- Department of Fertilizers granted permission to Madhya Bharat Agro product Limited Unit-II, Banda Sagar, MP for production of 1.20 LMT per annum.
- Paradeep Phosphates Ltd is expected to manufacture additional DAP/NPK complex to the tune of 8 LMT per annum utilizing the 2 trains of ZACL Goa Plant.
- A new DAP/NPK Plant by RCF with annual capacity of 5 LMT and investment of 950 crore in Thal, commission in 2024.
- A new DAP/NPK Plant by FACT with annual capacity of 5.5 LMT at a cost of Rs 537 cr. Commissioning in June, 2024.
- On exploration of minerals for raw materials for DAP & other fertilizers in India, discussion is in place with Ministry of Mines, GSI, MECL & PDIL.
- PDM or Potash Derived from Molasses (0-0-14.5-0) which is 100% indigenously manufactured has been included under Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) scheme.
All P&K fertilizers are covered under Open General License (OGL) under the Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) Scheme. They are imported by the companies on commercially viable terms. The quantity of P&K (DAP, MOP and NPK) fertilizers imported by the country during each of the last five years is given in the table below: