03 June 2023, AU: Do you have an idea for a grains research, development and extension (RD&E) project, or a local farming constraint that needs to be tackled?
Upcoming grower forums held across the grainbelt by the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) will offer growers, advisers and industry professionals a chance to contribute ideas and raise local issues directly with GRDC.
GRDC grower relations manager Jo Wheeler says that the National Grower Network (NGN) forums were GRDC’s ‘front door’ for growers, and an opportunity to voice feedback, ideas, opportunities and constraints from each grain growing region.
“The NGN forums see growers get together with GRDC staff in a relaxed and informal setting to discuss issues and observations they are seeing on-farm,” Ms Wheeler says.
“We follow a collaborative process where ideas are collected, discussed, and refined, with a shortlist of topics identified to inform future GRDC development and extension investments.
“This is a chance for all growers to have a say about what their priorities are, and where they’d like to see their grain levies invested. We’d love to see some new faces come along.”
The series of 10 workshops begins on June 12 and features an exciting list of guest speakers covering topics relevant to each region, including:
- Morawa – June 12, linking with the Morawa Farm Improvement Group field day and featuring a presentation on barley agronomic strategies, Craig Topham, Agrarian Consulting
- Moonyoonooka – June 19, featuring presentations on weed control in tall standing stubble, Grant Thompson, Crop Circle Consulting, and the economics of managing ryegrass and its herbicide control methods, Roberto Busi, AHRI, and Peter Newman, WeedSmart
- Yerecoin – June 20, featuring a presentation on working with rhizobia, John Howieson, Murdoch University
- Mt Walker – June 28, featuring presentations on the findings of 5 years of research from the NPK project, Dr Craig Scanlan, DPIRD, and a second presentation to be confirmed
- Trayning– June 29, featuring presentations on the findings of 5 years of research from the NPK project, Dr Craig Scanlan, DPIRD, and net blotches in barley, Jason Bradley, DPIRD
- Kellerberrin – June 30, featuring presentations on the control methods of barley grass project, Catherine Borger, DPIRD, and the economics of fallow, Darren Hughes, Laconik
- Darkan – July 17, presentations to be confirmed
- Nyabing – July 18, featuring presentations on the findings of 5 years of research from the NPK project, Dr Craig Scanlan, DPIRD
- West River – July 19, featuring presentations on the findings of 5 years of research from the NPK project, Dr Daniel Murphy and Dr Francis Hoyle, Murdoch University
- Scaddan – July 20, featuring presentations on the findings of 5 years of research from the NPK project, Dr Daniel Murphy and Dr Francis Hoyle, Murdoch University.
All growers, advisers and industry representatives are welcome to attend and contribute to these free-of-charge forums, which include refreshments and dinner. Registration is essential.
(For Latest Agriculture News & Updates, follow Krishak Jagat on Google News)