Ministry of Earth Sciences launches Mobile App “Mausam”
27 July 2020, New Delhi: Ministry of Earth Sciences launched mobile App “Mausam” of India Meteorological Department. This mobile app is available both on Playstore and Appstore. This Mobile App is designed for the general public to communicate the weather information and forecasts in a lucid manner without technical jargons.
Read: Protecting Basmati exports Punjab stops sale of 9 pesticides
Users can access observed weather, forecasts, radar images and be proactively warned of impending weather events.
The MAUSAM mobile App has the following 5 services:
- Current Weather –Current temperature, humidity, wind speed and direction for 200 cities updated 8 times a day. Information on Sunrise/ sunset and moonrise/ moonset are also given.
- Nowcast– Three hourly warnings of localized weather phenomena and their intensity issued for about 800 stations, and districts of India by State Meteorological Centres of IMD. Impact of severe weather is also included in its warnings.
- City Forecast – Past 24 hours and 7 day forecast of weather conditions around 450 cities in India.
- Warnings- Alerts issued twice a day for all districts for the next five days in colour code (Red, Orange and Yellow) to warn citizens of approaching dangerous weather. The colour code Red is the most severe category urging authorities to take action, Orange code prompts authorities and public to be alert and Yellow code prompts authorities and public to keep themselves updated.
- Radar products:Latest Station wise radar products updated every 10 minutes
Read: Blooom Ag launches electronic market place in India
The Mausam mobile app will be an important tool for dissemination of weather information and warnings in an attractive and user friendly manner which will meet the requirements of public.
ICRISAT’s Digital Agriculture & Youth (DAY) team, Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune and India Meteorological Department has jointly designed & developed the mobile app.